Sunday, April 5, 2009

My First Half Marathon!

Sunday April 5, 2009. The date of my first half marathon.

I woke up today feeling better than I did most weeks because I knew in my head we were running a half marathon today. Bonnie's at work this week, so I headed out to Granville Island alone. I saw Sarah on the way and I waved at her...she's much faster than I am now, so we can't take the same ride.

Luckily this week, there were no sun runners hogging up all the parking spot. Last week was almost impossible to find parking. I also got a great surprise this week, my running buddy, Monique is back!!! Back and Better than Before! Her knee is completely healed and she's ready to run the full way.

This week, Mike says we're still only doing 18km. But Sarah, Laura, AND Monique won't be here next week and that's when we're supposed to run the 21km, so we decided as a group to run the 21km this week. The run started out very well, I felt good for the entire first half up to 9km. Then when we got up the hill to UBC's Museum of Anthropologie, my legs started burning really bad. Monique and I decided to walk up that hill mostly. It was only an extra 1.5km, but it sure felt a lot longer. We ran back down and passed Jericho. At about 16km point, my body really started wheezing and yelling at me to slow down. Monique was feeling it too, so we took it a bit easier for the last 5km.

We made it back! At a horrendous time though, because we got back at about the 3 hour mark, which is QUITE long for a half marathon, but I'm sure I can get better next week. It's like a weekly ritual now, Mike and Amy always brings bananas at the finish line and it tastes GREAT! Since I took so long to finish my run, I had to leave because parking at Granville Island is only for 3 hours. Great job team! We'll do it again next week!

On a side note, I've had some pain on my left foot from the outside of my pinky toe to about halfway up my calf, anyone know what that is?

My fundraising is almost complete! I'm only less than $300 away! Thank you to all my sponsors!

Natalia Gilewicz hey Nat! I'll always be your favourite TA right? :) I miss you! Hope you're doing well, update me on GCM soon! :)
Katannya Yee heya Kat, it's ok that you couldn't make it out to the bowling night, thanks for donating. We need to meet up sometime soon and catch up! Call me up!

No comments: