Monday, May 4, 2009

First half marathon...COMPLETE!


So here's a run by run of the last two days.

Saturday morning: I had planned on going to play some pitch and putt with Viet, my siblings, and Andrew, but by the time Jasmine and Julian was ready, it started to rain. So we went to e-canteen for lunch instead. Never really been there without parents before, feels like we're all grown up. I ordered rice to pack on the carbs.

After lunch, I went to Superstore to do some grocery shopping but then we didn't get enough stuff so we went to T&T as well. Viet chose out new glasses cause his frames ran out :( But I like the new ones! I was dropped off at home for a brief 45 mins in which I quickly packed an overnight bag with everything I can think of that I would need.

Fuel belt? Check
Sport beans? Check
Running clothes? Check
Sleeping clothes? Check
Toiletries? Check
iPod? Check
Tickets and forms? Check

Then I had to quickly figure out how to get to the Sheridan Wall Centre by bus. Turns out it's a lot simpler than I thought it would be. Take the #41 bus to Knight, then take the #22 MacDonald bus to downtown St. Paul Hospital.

I got there late, but was able to decorate my bib. I talked about in my last post my sponsored hero, Jessica. I wrote her name on the back of my bib.

Dinner was at 5:30 and we had to rush to get there. Lots of foood! Pasta, bread, salad. I even had TWO plates! :)

By the time dinner was done we all rushed to the bar to watch the hockey game. When we came up, the score was 2-0 Canucks! Yes! Then it all fell apart. Five goals in a row for Chicago. Canucks finally added one more in before Chicago won with an empty netter. 6-3....ouch. I tell you, if the feng shui is working, don't mess with it. We don't watch, we lead 2-0, we watch, they start losing :( It's ok! Game 3 tomorrow.

After the very disappointed game, Bonnie and I headed back to our room to clean up and head to bed early. The big meal literally knocked me out at 9:15. We had a surprise overnight and this was what was left on our doors. A personal card from Coach Mike as his final words of inspiration.
The sign was stuck on our door and said WE were the heroes tomorrow for running. Glenna and Veronica is just so amazing :)

Sunday morning: I got up at 5am to pack up, dress up, and get pumped up for the run. Bonnie and I went to Starbucks to pick up some bread before our run. We hopped onto the busses at around 6:15 and it took us to the Terry Fox Memorial where we hopped off and to the Expo. Free coffee from McDonalds?? So tempting, but must not get dehydrated.

Our whole group got pumped up, seeked out the 2 hr pace bunny, and before we know it..."3...2...1....go!!" I felt awesome throughout the first 8km. I don't really remember stopping for the 10 and 1s. The first real place I stopped was when we hit 1/2 way before the hill to Prospect Point. I remember my stopping intervals were all less than a min, then I was off again. I was able to tone out everything, the runners, the pain, the heat. I just.kept.going. I thought of Jessica quite a bit. She's my inspiration to continue.

The weather was! AWESOME! UNBELIEVABLE! Considering the weather network was calling for rain ALL WEEK, we didn't get a drip. In fact, we had beautiful overcast with some sun peeping out and a GREAT breeze from the water.

When we got out of Stanley Park, we began to see the full marathoners running by. Boy are they fast!!!! I hit "the wall" at around 19km. I know there's only 2.1 km to go but I really felt like I can't do it. My feet were hurting, my knee was tugging, my legs felt like concrete. That was when I heard someone yell "Thanks for running for a cure!" and that really helped me. I took a sport bean (fruit punch flavour) and I started running again. 20km mark! 1 to go!
Just keep going.
Just keep going.
Just keep going.

Before I know it, I crossed the finish line. The biggest surprise? I looked up at the clock "2:35" No way!!! My goal was to do it under 3 hours because it took me 3 hours during the GTS. But not only did I meet my goal, I exceeded it! I was so happy.....and hungry.

At the finish line, there were tables upon tables lined up with food. And that was exactly what I did. I grabbed anything I could off every table I could and chowed it down. Boy did that feel good. Then I found the TNT tent, checked out and sat on the floor refusing to move anymore. That's when I realized I couldn't find Viet or Jeunessa! Did they get lost? Were they late?

I borrowed Monique's phone and gave them a call. Viet picked up and said he was at the finish line, but I finished already! So they came by to congratulate me. That's when I got my first medal! And the best one yet! My own Running Pear! Jeunessa made this for me the night before. It's the running pear's personal trophy. Isn't it amazing? She just took my pear picture from the above banner, and turned it into a stuffy!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

I got to the Expo to get my $20 massage. I must tell you all. This $20 I spent is the best $20 spent in the last YEAR. It was GOLD. 15 minutes with a personal massage therapist is the reason why I don't feel like I've ran a half marathon today. Seriously, it was HEAVEN. I totally recommend it!!!!

Here's a picture of what I looked like after I got home.
Pretty scary eh? I was surprised I could still walk! But I did it! I showered and was going to take a nap but grandma wanted to eat lunch so we went out for Pho. After Pho, yee ma wanted to buy sofas, so we went to Coquitlam. Man, it took super long, but Raymond and yee ma now has a new 100% leather sofa and loveseat!

I got home, and before I know it, it was time to go for our Victory dinner, so off I go. It was a great dinner, our last dinner together as a team! I was soooo tired but I loved seeing everyone. Here are some images!

Thank you everyone!

Wow! It was SUCH an experience! I will blog about it later tonight. I've had no free time since yesterday. Finished the marathon, came home, shower, went out for lunch, then shopped for furniture. Came home, got ready, went for dinner, got back at 9:30 and hopped into my beautiful bed.

On the list today: Work til 5, cook dinner by 6, class at 6:30!!! My first photography class at Langara, I'm SO psyched! Unfortunately, that goes until 9:55. I'll see how much time I have to blog after I come home from that.

My time? 2 hours and 33 minutes. Record time for me! :)


Crystal said...

YAY! congrats on finishing the marathon :) hopefully you reached your goal of fundraising!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I told you I'd read it. Congrats and good job! You planning your next half marathon?