Monday, January 12, 2009

GTS #6?

I think yesterday's run was the 6th GTS, but I've missed a few and that made me feel extremely guilty. The night before, I was attending an event for work where I had a few glasses of wine and a Caesar, but nothing serious enough to cause a hangover.

I slept at around 11 that night and was terrified I'd miss my run the next day, so I woke up at around 12:30 to open the door for my sister (who forgot her keys AGAIN), then I woke up again at 3:30am because I thought I slept through the alarm, then I woke up AGAIN at 6am to realize I had 50 more minutes to sleep in. Finally at 6:50, I got up, got dressed, washed up and made myself a very balanced meal.

For breakfast, I had the following:
1 slice of flaxseed toast
1 tsp of peanut butter on the toast
1/2 banana sliced onto the peanut butter on the toast
The other 1/2 banana I eat on its own
1/2 cup of 2% Milk enriched with Horlicks

...and I was ready to go!

I got to Bonnie's house earlier than expected, so we waited inside the condo lobby. Veronica came to pick us up and off we were to Granville Island.

Coach Mike told us we were running 7 kms today!!!! For someone who had not run (much) since before the holidays, I literally thought it was impossible. Our route was along the seawall from Granville Island through the Olympic Village to Science World and back. After I hit the halfway point, I started feeling a lot of pain in my shin. After talking to Sharon at work, she told me I had something called Shin Spints

According to Wikipedia:
(def.) Shin Splints: A general term used to refer to a painful condition in the shins. It is often caused by running or jumping, and may be very slow to heal. A formal medical term for the condition is medial tibial syndrome. One cause is an overused muscle, either as an acute injury or delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). The muscle pain is caused by any activity that involves running, jumping, also sometimes even walking, swimming, roller skating, or other basic physical activity. An individual not accustomed to running may experience pain in the shin muscles the next day even after a single, short bout of intensive running. Sometimes shin splints is also a result of stress fractures in the shin.

After reading it more, it really seemed like it was quite serious, but I didn't feel as bad as Wikipedia described it, so I think I'm ok.

After the run, I felt great! Not as sore as I thought I'd be....until of course the next morning.

This Monday morning I woke up feeling quite sore. I had a horrible nightmare last night of cutting people to pieces and disposing them in garbage cans (?!) Apparently the person we cut up was a really bad guy that the cops couldn't catch....I swear I have NOT been watching too much Dexter.

In fact, last night, I watched "My Best Friend's Girl" with Dane Cook, the American Pie dude and Kate Hudson. All you need to do is look at the last person on that list and you already know what type of movie it is. Though I must admit, for a 29 year old with a 5 year old son, she's got an ASS I totally COVET.

In the movie yesterday, she ran a lot, and talked while she ran, that's an excellent pace to be running at. But then, I noticed how beautiful she is while she's running. If you're unfortunate enough to be one of my running mates during our GTS, you'll totally realize that I look like CRAP when I run. I have my headband, my cap, my capris and windbreaker. My face gets red and blotchy and my clothes get sweaty and stinky. How does she look like she's GLOWING when she runs? Sigh the magic of Hollywood.

That's enough of a rant today. I feel horrible I didn't get the dri-fit socks (You have to fundraise $1000 by January to get them).

Unfortunately, I haven't had any new sponsors in a while, so I have no one to thank. But please, keep passing the word on!

Please visit this page to sponsor me in my run on behalf of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada.

No comments: